Most digital parents are familiar with The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) guidelines: no more than 2 hours of screen time for kids and teens daily.
However, the experience shows that sometimes it is not so easy to enforce this rule! Children multitask with two screens at the same time, glance at the TV when they are eating meals, they snatch your iPhone to play their favorite apps or games 😉 In the end, the recommended 120 minutes seem distant and unreachable.
In today’s post we are giving you easy and practical tips that will help you decrease your child’s screen time and make it as valuable as possible! (For visual tips, scroll down to view our infographic 🙂 )
1. Choose media with educational content. That is a #1 tip for making the screen time valuable: pick apps, movies, games that will actually help your child gain more knowledge
2. Create screen-free zones in your house. Bedrooms and dining rooms are the best places to start with
3. Unplug! Turn-off the devices when you are not using them
4. Ask your child what they learnt from the movie/app. Want to know if the media your child consumes is educational? Simply ask them what they learnt from it!
5. Be present in kids’ digital life. Don’t treat digital media as a babysitter
6. Try to show the knowledge from the media in the real life examples
7. Don’t allow snacks during screen time
8. Record interesting programmes / movies. In the end your child will consme only ”hand-picked” media, not anything that is just shown on TV
9. Choose content that requires interaction. The kind of apps, shows, movies that require your child to respond, move etc.
Thanks for reading an see you next week!
Magdalena | Appetite For Education
P.S.Want to see more posts like this? Subscribe to our newsletter and receive the latest articles & infographics straight to your inbox!